To start with, sore throat also called pharyngitis is an acute inflammation of the mucous membrane of the pharynx, including the soft palate and the tonsils. Indications such as pains when swallowing and sometimes tightness in the throat tell of soreness in the throat. There are different types of remedies for both adults and children, in the article I’ll be talking about natural remedies for the irritated throat.
Read more about other conditions on the nose:
- Staph Infection in Nose: Pictures, Symptoms, How to Treat and Prevention
- Sore in Nose: Around, Inside, Pictures, Causes and Home Remedies
Natural Sore Throat Remedies
Natural remedies are most often a preferred alternative to cure Sore throat infection. Sore throat is usually caused by viral infections and sometimes antibiotic treatments is not a favored option.
The following are some remedies offered by Mother Nature:
Marsh Mallow Root: This is an herb that grows in North America and has been used as a remedy for sore throat for centuries now. This herb contains mucilage, which was discovered to soothe the mucus membrane in the throat.
Specialists in herbs have recommended this herb in the form of a root tea for sore throat. You make this tea by adding one table spoon of this dry root herb to a cup of boiling water and steeping it. You cover it for 30 to 80 minutes before straining. I would suggest that you take up to three cups a day for a successful sore throat relief.
Honeysuckle Flowers: This is a sweet – tasting herb, commonly used as a sore throat remedy especially in traditional Chinese medicine. This flower belong to the class of herbs that are never easy to come across, it is mainly sold in Chinese herbal stores.
The Chinese herbalists often would recommend that you make honey suckle tea by adding one cup of honeysuckle flower (not the leaves) to one quart of boiling water. Steep for about 15 minutes, keep it covered for a while and then strain. Take as much as four cups a day.
Licorice Root: This herb has been known for ages as a sore throat remedy. It has been known for its anti inflammatory properties and has been used for stomach ulcers and several viral infections. This herb is also known for its sweet taste and is a common element in herbal tea for getting rid of sore throat.
Prepare a licorice root solution just like any other tea and drink, but make sure to take a small amount as this may lead to high blood pressure and several other related ailments. Three times a day is a good quantity to take.
Other Home Remedies
These home remedies are easily accessible and can be done in the comfort of your own home. if you’re down with a sore throat infection, you can try any of the following:
– Drinking lots of fluids which keep the throat lubed and getting lots of rest.
– Gargling and rinsing your mouth with warm salt water several times a day (one teaspoon per glass).
– Steam inhalation helps to ease the pain. Run very hot water into a sink, lean over the sink while the water is still very hot with a towel cloaked over your head to trap the steam. Inhale and exhale deeply for about 20 minutes. Do this several times a day but be careful not to get yourself burnt.
– Applying a warm heating pad to your throat. Soak clean cloth in hot water and apply to your throat, this will help ease the pain.
Although these sore throat remedies have been tested over time and are proven to work in most cases, if symptoms persists, please visit your physician for medical diagnosis and prescription.